Sunday, September 10, 2017

Installation

Before installing the toilet sink my plumbing had a water coming out the the fill valve in a few spots. Some of that water filled the tank and some of that water went into the overflow tube that filled the toilet bowl. The water that fills the tank does the flushing and the water that fills the tube sits there in the toilet waiting for you to befoul its waters. There's other stuff in the toilet not in my picture, but I didn't draw them because they don't matter for what we're up to.

Step 1: Figure out your top. I recommend drilling through your preexisting ceramic top or wood. Some woods do better living in a moist environment than other. I went with yew, because it was what the guy at the reclaim-it lumber yard recommended. You will want to cut a hole in the wood for the drain to fit into and for the copper piping. I just used a drill press for both holes. I made my hole for the drain 3 inches in diameter directly above the overflow tube. The hole for the tube I made the same as the copper tubing. My wood top still needs to be finished with varnish

Step 2: My refill tube was quite short and had a plastic thingy on its end stuck into the overflow tube. Take that off so you are just left with the refill tube.

Step 3: You now want to connect more tubing (about one foot long by 1/4 inch) to your refill tube using a plastic barbed union 3/16th inch. Make sure your getting a secure fit between the tubing and the union.

Step 4: That tube is then connected to the copper pipe. We used a 3/8 inch compression fitting to a barbed union. I like it when the copper pipe is directed on top of the drain. Just make sure it's aimed at the sink, there's a surprising amount water pressure.

Step 5: Place a funnel in the overflow tube to catch the water and place the sink on top. You may now flush!



No comments:

Post a Comment